Wednesday 24 August 2011

Chocolate & Pistachio Battenburg





It's now been well documented that I don't like marzipan.  This could be the reason I'm not keen on fruit cake either as it quite often comes encased in the stuff.  

So, is Battenburg worth the effort when you consider the marzipan factor.  I've tried too alternatives, Coffee & Walnut with Walnut Marzipan and Chocolate & Pistachio with Chocolate Fondant.  I have to say the walnut marzipan was a good alternative but although they were both enjoyed greatly by all who ate them, I've come to the conclusion that no, they're not.  I'd much rather use the time and effort on a cake that looks just as nice but not necessarily like a chess board....sorry Dot!

4 comments:

  1. Just read about your blog on Maison Cupcake and thought I would check it out!

    I love marzipan (the homemade kind), but I love the idea of a chocolate/pistachio battenberg!!! Pistachio is one of my absolute favorite flavors.

    I'm sorry I won't be able to watch you compete since the BBC iPlayer doesn't work in the U.S. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary-Anne from GBBO found this link you could try once you're home

    http://eztvstream.com/the-great-british-bake-off/the-great-british-bake-off-season-2-episode-2-episode-2

    I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you might have to do one more? I've been looking at the traditional 'pink and yellow' one and imagining it with strawberry and banana flavor cake and a banana fondant icing? I might put in a request for next years birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it that my children call this chocolate and moustachio cake

    ReplyDelete