Sunday 16 February 2014

BEETROOT RED VELVET CUPCAKES



A little late I know, I'm not very organised, sorry.  I gave in and made a Valentine recipe.  What can I say, I just love a theme.  Of course they don't have to be just for valentines day and you don't really have to share them with your true love.  In fact, if you eat all of them, it may well count as one of your 5 a day! Use cooked beetroot, the one you get in vacuum packs, not the stuff in vinegar in a jar.

150g Self Raising Flour
30g Cocoa
160g Sugar
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
170g Cooked Beetroot finely grated
2 Eggs
140g Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Red Colour Paste

I'm sure you can probably figure this out for yourself, but I'll tell you anyway if only to pad out this page a little more.

Line a muffin tray with 12 cake cases.  Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.

Apart from the colouring, whisk all the wet ingredients in a jug then pour them into the bowl.  Stir everything gently till completely mixed.  Now add the colouring till you get the depth of red that you are happy with.

Divide the mixture between the case and bake for 15-20 minutes till cooked through and the sponge springs back.

Decorate with buttercream, I stirred through a spoon of grated beetroot too and it gave it a lovely pink hue.








No comments:

Post a Comment