Sunday 28 August 2011

CHRYSANTHEMUM CUP CAKES



Oh my goodness, how excited was I to discover how to make these.  I think the effect is so stunning yet it's really easy to do.  You'll want to try it to see for yourself I'm sure.

I've made cup cakes using a basic victoria sponge.  Actually they were chocolate & banana swirled together.

Next top with butter cream ready for the petals.

To make each petal you'll need coloured sugar and mini marshmallows, you know the kind they pile on top of your hot chocolate in cafes.  I coloured my own sugar by mixing it with colour paste.  Use colour paste rather than liquid as it would make it too wet.  I mix it in a sieve and it gets any lumps out.  Keep any left over in a jar ready for next time, and there will be a next time.  Already I can't wait to do them again.


Now for the clever bit.  Use scissors to snip each marshmallow in half diagonally.  This gives you a sticky edge on the cut, dip this edge into the sugar and voila, you have a petal.  You will see that it already has a flat edge, use this side to stick it onto the cake.  Start with the outside edge and complete 3 rings.  Finish with one in the centre.  You will need about 16 marshmallows for each cake.

How easy is that, I told you!




29 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! Quick question - it looks like there is a thin white border around the coloured part of each 'petal' - how did you get it like that? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi B, you get the white border because the edge is not sticky so the sugar doesn't adhere to it. Have a go and you'll see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful, I am going to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linzi, please let me know how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so clever! I would never have guessed they were decorated with marshmallow, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicola, you must have a go, it genius and so simple, my son helped with these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are AMAZING - completely stunning, was staring at the pictures thinking WOW thats gotta be complicated and then read how to do and I'm floored... A M A Z I N G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me know if you have a go and how you get on. I love making these because of the reaction you get from people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so cute!! never seen cupcakes this adorable :) craving for some right now, Love the post and the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great -- perfectly cut, dipped, and so elegant! I do believe the original idea came from What's New, Cupcake? and I think it'd be nice to credit them. Great interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for that info Xiaolu, there are so many versions all over the internet It's nice to know where it originated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember seeing these on youtube, but unfortunately forgot the name of the lady who made them. They look fantastic! Definitely a winner!
    A lunch stopper :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it!!! Brilliant and yet so easy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow these are SO gorgeous. I love all the colours. Each one looks so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome idea! I thought this was way harder than it looks!!

    Http://milk-and-tea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. These really are stunning! Thanks for the tips about making your own colored sugar. I am going to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you anymore fab ideas like these. I do rainbows and brownies and would love simple but stunning ideas like these for the kids to have a bash at

    ReplyDelete
  18. Keep checking the blog, I always try to share any ideas I have x

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi yasmin thanks for the amazing birthday party i attended (mia's) i had so much fun and now we have learnt to make these i am going to have a go soon! thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are so beautiful!!! Thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're welcome, I hope you try them x

    ReplyDelete