Saturday 19 November 2011

LET'S GET READY TO SCRUMBLE!


I've been wanting to learn to crochet for a couple of years now, I even started buying one of those fortnightly magazines that teaches you step-by-step.  Unfortunately all I was left with was a pile of magazines, several binders and a big whole in my bank balance.

Finally my sister went to a set of classes at her local wool shop then spent a weekend with me passing on her newly found knowledge.  It made all the difference being shown what to do and even more being shown what not to do.

I recently went to the same wool shop The Crochet Chain in Waltham Abbey, along with my sister (an early birthday present) to learn to make a 'Scrumble'.  You use 'Freeform Crochet' or as I re-named it - 'Jazz Crochet'.  which is a random collection of different pieces in different textures, colours and stitches which results in an abstract design. They can be made into items just like any crochet or you can use small pieces as an embellishment.

This is perfect for me as there is no pattern - I can't read a pattern yet! and you just keep adding whatever and wherever you like, there are no restrictions.  It means every scrumble is unique, a piece of art like no other.  I think it looks really organic like a beautiful coral.


I don't know what I'm going to do with my scrumble yet but you'll be the first to know when I do x

6 comments:

  1. This is fabulous! I must have a go! I love your colour choice. Very pretty. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Catherine, definitely try it, I loved the freedom of doing whatever you want and going with the flow. I think I'll just keep adding to it for now. Great for using up scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and you are seriously talented. You could add the scrumble to a plain kid's jacket or a plain kids' dress. The scrumble can be attached to just one side of the dress right on top like where one generally wears a brooch. Or maybe on a knitted cap? These are all ideas if you have a girl. In case you don't then you could gift it to someone who does! Looking forward to your post on what you do with the scrumbles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats really pretty! I sort of started to learn how to crochet but then forgot how to do it!
    One blog you really should check out if you want to get into crochet is http://attic24.typepad.com/, there are lots of really cool ideas on there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I looked at Attic24 when I first started but I don't think I'm up to that standard yet

    ReplyDelete